As we age, our skin (epidermis) loses elasticity and becomes less supple. We develop wrinkles, age spots, our skin becomes drier and in need of additional hydration. Finding the best skin care products becomes increasingly important as we age, particularly the anti-aging skin care variety.
As we get older, our body produces less collagen which is necessary to maintain skin elasticity. This deficit is what causes our skin to wrinkle and sag. The skin discoloration that often accompanies aging skin is due to decreased oil production and increased drying of the skin as a result of sebaceous glands that no longer work well.
The purpose of an anti aging skin care regime is to re-hydrate the skin and keep it as youthful as possible for as long as possible.
The commercial skin care industry abounds with anti-aging skin care products and special formulations to revitalize aging skin. However, there are so many anti-wrinkle skin care creams and lotions for mature skin that it can be difficult to sort through them all to find the best preparations.
An effective way to compare brands is to consider their ingredients. If you know what specific ingredients can do for your skin you can read the labels and get a good idea of the likely effectiveness of particular formulations.
Here are seven of the most effective anti-aging skin care ingredients that can be included in facial skin creams:
1. Idebenone - Coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10 (also known as ubiquinone) is a powerful antioxidant which has been chemically synthesized into Idebenone which also has strong antioxidant properties. CoQ10 was synthesized because it was found to reduce the risk of heart disease and free radical damage as well as impeding the development of some nervous system and neurological disorders.
This natural enzyme was synthesized in an attempt to increase its effectiveness. Initially, it was taken internally and was found to increase brain function, energy levels, nerve growth factor and serotonin as well as protecting cells and reducing inflammation. There are no known adverse side effects of using this drug.
More recently, skin care manufacturers tested topical versions of Idebenone on damaged skin and found that it was very effective in preventing and even reversing free radical damage caused by sun exposure, diet and lifestyle. As we age, our body has less ability to fight free radicals so the use of this element and other topical antioxidants in skin care preparations can help the skin cells to regenerate and prevent further deterioration.
2. Edelweiss Extract is another powerful antioxidant which neutralizes free radicals caused by exposure to UV sun rays over time, pollution, and the modern western diet which is high in fats and sugars. Furthermore, it prevents the increase of super oxides which actively promote the aging of skin. It also provides a natural protection against harmful ultraviolet rays also making them excellent additives to sun screens.
Edelweiss extract contains bioflavonoids which help to strengthen blood vessel walls. It is therefore an excellent ingredient for wrinkle reduction creams and lotions.
3. Evening Primrose Oil has been used throughout history to treat a variety of ailments. In particular, it reduces inflammation and heals eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis. Where anti-aging skin care products are concerned, Evening Primrose's ability to reduce skin inflammation is particularly important. The oil of the evening primrose contains seventy eight percent essential fatty acids and is linoleic and gamma linolenic acids. These components maintain the skin's water barrier and nurture the membranes of skin cells.
Deficiency in Essential Fatty Acids can hasten the aging process of the epidermis by reducing the activity of the sebaceous glands, increase the likelihood of acne, eczema and psoriasis, cause the skin to become dehydrated and weaken the skin's surface capillaries. The addition of essential fatty acids in topical preparation and internal medications helps to replace those acids that the body loses and cannot produce on its own.
Consequently, the inclusion of Evening Primrose Oil in antiaging formulas is extremely beneficial as it helps to prevent wrinkles, helps the skin to maintain its shape and texture and slows the effects of time process. The best skin care products are likely to contain it.
4. Shea Butter butter naturally moisturizes and tightens the skin. Like edelweiss extract, it also protects the skin from ultra violet light. It is one of the most effective ingredients found in many age defying skin care products. It is not only a moisturizer that makes wrinkles less noticeable and helps skin to appear smoother, it also improves skin elasticity and suppleness, improves skin tone and removes dry, scaly or rough skin.
This interesting additive contains fatty acids which prevent drying, cracking, wrinkling and burning of the skin in addition to assisting in the regeneration and healing of damaged skin. To be a truly effective ingredient in an anti-wrinkle skin care product, it is recommended that the product contains at least twenty percent of Shea Butter.
5. Vitamin A (Retinol) is another extremely important antioxidant which is particularly beneficial. The small molecular structure of this vitamin allows it to penetrate the skin's epidermis so that it can act to repair damage in the lower layers of skin as well as stimulate them to produce collagen and elastin. It acts to eliminate age spots and improve the pigmentation of the skin.
Vitamin A also helps to regulate the growth of skin cells. Using it topically helps to improve skin elasticity, and smooth skin that is rough, dry or thicker than normal. Retinol is also important for healthy immune function, digestive health and eyesight. Not only should it be included in anti wrinkle creams, it should be taken internally as a nutritional supplement to ensure that aging skin is fully supported.
6. Vitamin E is an antioxidant enhancer and increases the effects of the other antioxidants in an age fighting formulation. It also promotes healing of damaged skin and has been shown to prevent skin cell damage and inhibits the ability of free radicals to damage skin cells.
7. Vitamin C helps to increase collagen production which smooths the skin out and reduces wrinkles. It also improves blood flow which improves the complexion and can enliven dull skin.
If you read the labels on anti-aging formulations carefully and ensure that these ingredients are included, you will be able to distinguish between products and give yourself the best chance of finding the best skin care products to suit your needs.
Ken Black is the owner of Skin-Care-Reviews.com, a website all about skin care. Visit us today for more information on the Best Skin Care Products.