How to Dilute Bleach for Killing Moss

Print this articleMoss can become a problem when you have an outdoor space that stays moist and has limited sunlight. Moss growth is especially prevalent on roofs and siding in regions like the Pacific Northwest, but moss can grow anywhere under the right conditions. You can kill moss using household bleach, but you should dilute the bleach with water. Otherwise, you may permanently damage or discolor the surface you wish to clean.

Related Searches:Difficulty:Moderately EasyInstructions Things You'll NeedSpray bottleRubber glovesBreathing maskChlorine bleachOxygen bleachWaterSuggest Edits1

Put on a pair of rubber or other nonporous gloves. When handling bleach for any reason, you must wear gloves to protect your skin from the corrosive chemicals in bleach. If you have any sensitivity to fumes, you might want to wear a breathing mask as well.


Mix equal parts bleach and water. This will give you enough strength to kill moss without exposing your home to too heavy a concentration of bleach. You can use a higher percentage of water if you have only light moss. The CDC recommends 1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water for killing mold, so even a little bit of bleach goes a long way.


Pour the solution into a spray bottle. Before spraying the moss, water down any nearby bushes, grass, flowers or plants. The saturation will protect them if they come into contact with bleach.

Tips & Warnings

If you want to skip the harsh chlorine bleach completely, try using oxygen bleach. Oxygen bleach is a safe, green alternative to chlorine bleach. Apply a liquid oxygen bleach product undiluted to moss, or mix an oxygen bleach powder with hot water according to the manufacturer's directions.

Suggest item

ReferencesThis Old House: Getting Algae and Moss Off the RoofAsk the Builder; Removing Moss and Algae From Roofs; Tim CarterRead Next:

Print this articleCommentsFollow eHowFollow

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment